Tell Your Story, Authentically & Professionally
Personal brand storytelling for anyone on the path of career independence. The New About Me will teach you how in 7 engaging lessons.
Everybody is talking about story these days. From Silicon Valley entrepreneurs to TEDx speakers and 30-something bloggers running businesses from Bali, entrepreneurs and top level professionals agree:
“How you tell your story is a total game-changer.”
They aren’t the only ones. Many consultants, coaches, and creatives are embracing story as well. But, why?
The Internet age has created incredible opportunities for professionals to find freedom and flexibility in new, non-traditional careers paths. It’s just a matter of figuring out how to make a living doing it.
What’s the secret to career independence? Forging a unique career path isn’t easy, but for many of us, the dream of doing more meaningful work and having a bigger impact through our careers is a calling we can’t ignore.
The key isn’t earning more degrees, buying Twitter followers or sharing pictures of your cat on Facebook. The people who are showing the most success in the new age of career independence are embracing a skillset that’s as old as cave paintings.
To do the work you love and live a life you fully desire, you have to tell a better story. Your story.
Tell Your Story, Authentically & Professionally
Hey! I’m Michael Margolis, founder of Get Storied and dean of Story University. I run an online education company that teaches entrepreneurs how to tell their story. This includes virtual conferences and info-products that serve the global storytelling movement.
In 2009, I wrote Believe Me: a Storytelling Manifesto for Change-Makers and Innovators that’s since sold or downloaded 11,000 copies. Before that, I was a storytelling consultant to leading brands including Audubon, NASA, and Zappos. You could say, I’m obsessed with storytelling. Especially the kind that can transform the world. But my life purpose wasn’t always this clear or easy. I’ve struggled to make ends meet and figure this stuff out. For years, I felt like a renegade misfit — forever lost in translation.
You could say, I’ve been chronically “self-employed”. It was only after ten years decoding how storytelling works in business, that I began to apply the principles to my own reinvention, inside-out.
Eventually, it led me to create this simple 7-step storytelling system — so others wouldn’t have to struggle the same way I did. This program allows you to finally craft a compelling story and personal brand in the most authentic way possible. Imagine turning your ordinary bio into an intriguing profile that gets you seen and recognized for the awesomeness you really are (and, gets you paid what you’re truly worth!)?
Why your ‘About Me’ is the the most important factor in getting people to know you, like you, and trust you
Telling your story really matters (especially today). When people Google you, or visit your website – they’re looking for a story. If you’re an entrepreneur or expert of any kind, your perceived value is directly linked to that personal story. This is especially true for anyone who is an author, speaker, coach, consultant, blogger, or advisor of any kind.
That’s why it’s no surprise your “About” page is the top page people visit on your site. It’s where they go to learn about you. All your social media breadcrumbs point back to this one place. Go figure, it’s also the hardest page to write — because you’re talking about you. Your bio story is how people decide if they like you, believe you, and choose to buy from you.
Most people visit this page to decide if they want to follow you, buy from you, and believe in you. Which means your backstory better be compelling enough to give them something to believe in. The noise online is overwhelming, so people look to your story for resonance. Do they trust what you’re all about? Can they believe in your message? There’s a lot at stake.
Your story has to present something the audience can see in themselves. This is the holy grail of storytelling. Tell a story others can identify with as their own, and the need to persuade, convince, sell…disappears. It’s so simple, isn’t it? But often it’s the last thing we think of sharing. Tell your story, and you immediately start to attract your tribe, like-minds, peers, and the people you’re just meant to serve and work with.
The 7 ways having a well-created ‘About Me’ will help you get more people to know you, like you, and trust you.
1. When people Google you, they’ll find your story. Your perceived worth is directly linked to your personal story – especially if you’re an entrepreneur or expert of any kind. Since your “About” page is a top page people visit on your website, and all your social media breadcrumbs point back to this one place, there’s a lot at stake. This is especially true if you are an author, speaker, coach, consultant, blogger, or advisor of any sort. Why else do they hire you, above another? It’s the story of “YOU”.
2. Your business becomes more profitable. If the story you’re telling is compelling and distinctive, your perceived value is going to go up. By taking ownership of your history and reinventing it into an engaging story, you give your audience a reason to believe in who you are and what you do. When they can believe in you, purchasing from you is a no-brainer — because they trust and relate to you as a person.
3. You feel confident and secure knowing how to talk about yourself. Knowing how to tell your story means the next time you’re at a cocktail party and someone asks you what you do, you won’t stand there like a bad contestant on American Idol. Whether you’re an entrepreneur, speaker, coach, or an aspiring circus performer, when you know your story, describing your interests and background comes easy.
4. You attract more of your ideal clients. Most people visit your About page to decide if they want to follow you, buy from you, and believe in you. And that means your backstory needs to be compelling enough to give people something to believe in. Your story has to present something the audience can see in themselves. Ah-ha! The holy grail of storytelling. Tell a story others can identify with as their own, and the need to persuade, convince, or sell disappears. (Sounds so obvious, right?)
5. You get recognized as an expert people can trust. The noise online is overwhelming, so people look to your story for resonance. Do they trust what you’re all about? Can they believe in your message? There’s a lot at stake. Tell your bigger story, and you immediately start to attract your tribe, like-minds, peers, and the people you’re truly meant to serve and work with.
6. You’ll have a foundation for branding yourself online. The most frustrating part about writing your bio is often you have no pre-existing material to work with. A resume won’t cut it, but making it up as you go won’t either. By having a storyline that makes sense, branding yourself becomes easier and feels more genuine. That’s because you’ve already done the work necessary to turn past experiences and credentials into real relevance.
7. With more recognition, you’ll get to play on a bigger stage and platform. When your story gets aligned with your mojo, you automatically start playing on a bigger platform. Getting paid what you’re worth comes down to sharing how you see the world. Remember, people are buying your ideas and opinions. You know, your personal story of how you think the world works. Are you ready to play big? Then it’s time to write a bigger story.
So how does this work? You learn how to craft an amazing backstory. It’s what The New About Me is all about.
The New About Me is an online toolkit which teaches you step-by-step how to tell and share your personal story – without the need for bragging, boasting, or hiding. You’ll emerge with a new bio story to use on your “About” page, LinkedIn, Facebook, and anywhere you need to talk about you.
I designed this curriculum to help transform your personal presence, both online and in face-to-face meetings. Through a killer combo of video lessons, worksheets, and dozens of real examples — you’ll learn how to reveal your story to the world. Designed for entrepreneurs and creatives, this program shows you how to communicate who you are and what you offer in distinctive and relevant terms.
Telling your story is challenging. We’ve been brought up in a culture where none of us think we’re good at talking about ourselves – and we certainly wouldn’t call ourselves storytellers! That’s why I’ve made this course easy to understand and implement. And don’t worry, there isn’t any of the manufactured garbage associated with the term “personal branding.” (*We don’t need to inflate our egos with a fake persona to tell a great story around here.)
When you are confident about your story, the feeling is contagious. You begin to attract more of the right opportunities and connections. You align with the inherent blueprint of your talents, strengths, and personality. By reinventing your bio into a distinctive story, you position yourself for accelerated growth and recognition.
When you sign-up for The New About Me, you’ll learn…
I’m going to walk you through the 7 steps I’ve discovered through hard work and lots of trial and error. From my experience, you reap the easy-to-implement benefits.
How did you come up with this approach?
Truth be told, I wasn’t always comfortable sharing my own story. Actually, I was a nerd — long before it was cool to be a nerd. Out of desperation, I became a student of human behavior and communications. After studying cultural anthropology, I co-founded two social enterprise nonprofits before the age of 23. From 2002-2009, I was a branding and change consultant that pioneered the use of storytelling in organizations. My ideas were featured in places like Fast Company, Brandweek, and Storytelling Magazine. Going through a divorce in 2009 changed everything (i.e. I was soon broke, without clients, and on the verge of bankruptcy).
Soon after, I discovered the power of reinvention and how social media was changing the rules of the game. In two short years, I went from being “just a consultant” to becoming a self-published author, podcaster, journalist, professor, conference curator, and even the dean of my own university. It’s 2011 – you don’t need permission to become a recognized expert or authority. It comes from knowing who you are and how to tell your story. That’s what I’m going to teach you how to do – because your story needs to be heard.
These extra features make The New About Me toolkit an even more powerful tool for creating your amazing brand
We wanted to make sure you have absolutely everything you need to write your bio, so we are including lots of bonus features. It’s like getting your date at the movie her favorite candy and popcorn – it’s just the right thing to do. Here’s a recap of everything you get in The New About Me system:
- The 7 step-by-step formula for your bio (I told you we’d make it easy.)
- 3.5 hours of video-slide presentations (broken up into 20-30 minute lessons)
- 3.5 hours of Mp3 audio recordings you can download (for listening on the go)
- 62 pages of written transcripts from each of the seven lessons for extra convenience
- 18 pages of worksheets that help you identify and excavate your inner story-mojo
- Growing library of bio examples (including before/after makeover transformations)
- Bonus interviews on other topics including personal branding, niche, and social media
This is the fastest, easiest way to create a story that communicates natural confidence to everyone who reads it. After you get through this short course (it’ll take you about 4-6 hours), you’ll have a bio that tells the world who you are – and why you were born to do what you do. The dread of knowing you need to redo your “About Me” page will disappear. The right people and the right opportunities will start finding you.
Sign-up now for instant access to the program
You can order The New About Me: Online Toolkit for $297. You can get started with the program in the next few minutes just by clicking the order button below. You’ll receive access to the entire program – the videos, the worksheets, library of bio examples, and everything – all for just $297.
The course is built around 7 core video lessons. Each lesson is 20-30 minutes in length and includes slides, concepts and examples. The video recordings are also delivered in additional formats: MP3 audio and PDF transcriptions to address your learning preferences. At the end of each lesson, you go through a corresponding mission – a hands-on worksheet to get you applying the concepts to your own bio story. Each worksheet exercise takes 30 minutes or less to complete, so you’ll be well on your way in no time.
Order The New About Me for $297
My 100% happiness guarantee
If you sign-up and decide it’s not right for you, just let us know. Contact us within 60 days for a full-refund. It’s our 100% money-back happiness guarantee. If you have questions about signing-up, just email us. We’re here to help you shine. Like polished wood floor kind of shine. But without the fake lemon smell.
Thanks for giving The New About Me a test drive – I know you’re going to love it.
I appreciate you taking the time to read this page. I am so happy to take my storytelling expertise and put it into an easy to digest form. Your story matters, and helping you discover it is part of what I love about this. Please, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I’m very accessible, and I’m all about helping you create your best bio. P.S. Having a solid story is the #1 way to help people feel a sense of connection and admiration for you, not to mention increase your influence, credibility, and expert status. Oh, and sales. P.P.S. This product does that. Just saying.